The judge in the Federal Court in Washington, DC, approved the request of Saad Al-Jabri, an advisor to the former Saudi crown prince, to lift the confidentiality of all documents related to his case, which he filed against Saudi Crown Prince Muhammad bin Salman.
Al-Jabri submitted the request to the court on the 29th of last month to reveal documents related to his case, and secret documents that he believes include 'evidence and allegations' of the complicity of the Saudi Crown Prince in the attempt to kidnap, torture and kill him.
The Washington Post reported that the lawyers defending Saudi Arabia in the lawsuits filed by the families of the victims of the 'September 11th attacks' will represent Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in the Saad al-Jabri case.
The newspaper said that the legal moves in recent weeks come at a time when Saudi Arabia is seeking to protect itself from critics in two lawsuits filed against the crown prince since last August in the United States, and at a time when Riyadh is preparing for possible political changes due to the US elections Tuesday.
The two separate cases accuse Mohammed bin Salman of ordering the killing and dismemberment of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in October 2018, in addition to planning a similar assassination of former Saudi security official and US intelligence ally Saad al-Jabri.
Bruce Riedel, a former CIA official, said in a statement to the Washington Post that with President Donald Trump not being re-elected, the Saudis realized late that they would face a more hostile US government, compared to It has been the case for the past four years.
Washington Federal Court issued subpoena orders against Mohammed bin Salman and 13 other people, to respond to Saad Al-Jabri's accusations against them of trying to assassinate him. In addition to the crown prince, the lawsuit targets close to him, including Saud Al-Qahtani, Ahmed Asiri and Badr Al-Asaker.
Source: Al Jazeera + Washington Post